Brand (aka fire)

I feel like I wrote about this before, but I couldn't find it immediately, so maybe it was hidden in one of my other posts as a post script or something.

Anyway, if you try to search "Enschede" on Google, one of the first things that will come up is the fireworks disaster, which happened in 2001. I actually used to bike through the area where it occurred; all the buildings are new so the community is quite nice-looking but some people don't like it. Well, tangents aside, one of the main things is that this is probably the thing that Enschede is most "well-known" for.

Fastforward 11 or 12 years, and now I am here in this little city. In brief...

My parents came to visit in September. One morning while biking to work, I noticed it was harder to breathe than usual, and it came to my realization that there was a building on fire a short distance away.

We also ate together at an all-you-can-eat buffet, the last dinner that we had in Enschede (if I remember correctly).

In January of this year, I was biking to my new apartment and I passed by the restaurant where we had eaten... except it looked kind of like this:

It turns out that it had basically burned down during the Christmas/New Year's holiday week (I had been away). You can barely see their little lion statue is still almost perfectly intact.

Then, maybe a week later, around 5 or 6 of the stores adjacent to the restaurant also got burned down. I realized that they were cleaning up too quickly, so the picture I took (yesterday) looks like this:

(the building remains that you can still see are actually from the restaurant. The big pink containers are holding the pieces from the shops, which used to be standing in that area behind the fence.. if that makes any sense).

And, I think one or two weeks ago, my roommate told me that another shopping strip got burned down also, though it's somewhere in the south so I've never seen it.


This city has a kind of suspicious track record with fire-related incidences.

0 comments:

on faith, food and flying
The thoughts and experiences of a college kid on faith, love and life in pursuit of Christ, the loveliest One, while enjoying misadventures and quests for food, which so happen to take her around the world.
 
Copyright 2009 An Edible Epic Yarn All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes